Saturday, October 5, 2013

Another Opportunity To Learn More About China

My fascination with China started when our younger daughter and her husband decided to take an English teaching assignment there in 2009.  As previously blogged about here, this led to Deb and I making a trip in December 2009 to visit them and subsequently I decided to go back in April 2010.  Deb didn't go with me the second time, but our older daughter did -- creating the opportunity to share a wonderful father/daughters trip as well as provide my first opportunity to do a little solo traveling there.  The details are in the prior blog, but suffice to say this is how my interest and enjoyment in traveling in China began.

Now, for those of you who have followed my prior blogs, you will recall that I had also set upon a "mission" of attending the musical instrument trade shows around the world. Because of my association and work with a local music store, I've had the opportunity for the past 4 years to attend the annual show in Anahiem, California. Attending those shows prompted me to want to attend the similar annual musical instrument trade show in Europe and the opportunity to accomplish that came in April 2011 (blogged about here).  Well, the biggest such trade show in the world is held in Shanghai, China each October -- so I combined my interest in again traveling to China with attending the Shanghai music trade show and launched plans for another trip.  Originally planned for October 2012, various events caused a postponement until October 2013.  Early in 2013 I purchased my airline tickets for departure from Portland to Shanghai on October 8 and return from Shenzhen (where daughter/son-in-law had taught) on October 26.

Now, my interest in China allowed other connections to grow -- including one with a friend, an area music teacher, whom I met when he asked me if I'd be available to play drums for a youth theater production of "Annie." During those rehearsals I learned that his dad had taught in China -- and assisted one of his students ("Andy") to be able to continue his education at Portland State University (PSU).  This friend, his wife and his dad introduced me to the student over a fun Chinese lunch in Portland's international district.  Thereafter I sought out opportunities to have Andy meet my family over more fun meals -- and another friendship grew.  Last year Andy graduated and returned to Shanghai where he is working but not before falling in love with yet another Chinese National studying at PSU -- who finished her studies several months later.  So, with Andy's gracious offer for a place to stay (and the good fortune of Andy's Shanghai roommate being gone during my trip), I've arranged to stay with him in Shanghai.  In addition, we have made plans to travel together to his girlfriend's hometown, seven hours train from Shanghai, to further expose me to the culture, food and family life of China.

Once again, it is my hope to keep this blog up regularly while traveling --  and if you've looked though my blog list you already know that I sometimes accomplish blogging and sometimes I don't.  My best intentions to blog on a recent Europe trip were unsuccessful when living the trip took all my time.  We'll see whether I can be successful this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment