Thursday, October 17, 2013

October 15 Revisited - "I'm a white person"

In this prior post, I told the story of trying to explain I was an American to some fellow lunch mates -- I even included my attempt at phonetics for what I think I said: "why reeg run." Well, today I got this email from my daughter Staci (who lived in China for a year).  I'm still laughing about it.  I have always wondered why the Chinese people I run into seem so happy to talk to me.  I used to think it was because I show a happy face and tone but Staci's email made me realize it may be because they find what I say hilariously stupid.

From: Staci
Date: Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Just read your blog and cracked up: waiguoren means white person. Meiguoren does mean American but the way you pronounced it probably made them think you were answering the "where you from" question with "I'm a white person"... ahh language!! Love it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: After I posted this, I got this followup email from Staci:
From: Staci
Date: Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

After thinking about it more, I'm actually wrong -- waiguoren just means "foreign person", not White person-- but the sentiment is the same.
Where you from? I'm a foreign person. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment