Thursday, October 17, 2013

October 16 - Dinner Brings Back 2009 Memories

During my first visit to China in 2009, Staci and Martin introduced me to one of their favorite haunts -- a tiny restaurant on the back streets of a Shenzhen neighborhood.  The restaurant prepares a distinctive cuisine called "Xinjiang" which has spread throughout China by Uyghur Muslim migrants (click on the linked words if you want more detail from Wikipedia). The restaurants have a common poster of photos of their menu and color scheme, and sometimes prepare the fresh noodles in public view (pulling the dough into strings).

These restaurants quickly became one of my favorites as well and I've sought them out when I've traveled including to Wuhan and Xian. I mentioned to Andy that I hoped to eat at one again during this trip -- and he was familiar with the restaurants and said there was one near his apartment.

Tonight we headed there for dinner -- and, as remembered, the noodles were wonderful.  Here are photos from our dinner tonight:


And just for the memories of it, here are photos from 2010 in Shenzhen when my daughter Debi accompanied me to visit Staci and Martin.



No comments:

Post a Comment