Friday, October 11, 2013

October 10 - Musical and Cullinary Adventures

A good night's sleep, a new city to explore, a "bucket list" item to complete -- and that precious card from Amelia, found me bounding out of the apartment. It was fun to retrace the route to the subway and navigate the necessary transfer to arrive at Shanghai's New Expo Center for the opening of Music China 2013.  As noted my first post to this blog, Music China is the largest musical instrument trade show in the world -- where manufacturer's of everything musical (virtually every musical item) display their products -- primarily for music related distributors and retailers. These trade shows (the USA one is held in Anahiem in January each year) allow attendees to actually touch/play with all the products, and feature various groups and endorsing artists performing with the displayed instruments.

Upon arrival, I quickly learned that Shanghai's New Expo Center is a fair grounds of 12 massive buildings around an open field where several outdoor stages were set up.  The event was held simultaneously with a trade show for all stage gear (think lighting, speakers, massive video displays, fog machines, mixing boards).

I wore my feet (and ears) out traipsing through the halls -- spending a little extra time in the exhibit hall for traditional Asian instruments -- something unique to this show.  It was particularly satisfying to know that I have attended three of the four major such shows in the world and the 4th isn't even on my bucket list (yet) -- it's in Moscow.

Just to give you a little taste -- you might want to check out this youtube video I posted that gives a less than 30 seconds of a demo by 3 tubas and 5 trombones -- and check out these unusual instruments I ran across:

Now, ever since visiting China for the first time in 2009, I've enjoyed various signs that are uncommon to me -- either in their English or their graphics.  This is a good example of one I've seen before -- this time over the urinals in the restrooms at the Expo:

Upon exiting the Expo in the early afternoon, I used my trusty MapsWithMe app to decide that I could explore the nearby Century Park before getting on the subway at a different location.  I'm not sure whether the ¥10 (about $1.63) entrance fee is primarily to keep young people from congregating in the parks (like the menacing street kids in Portland parks) or to keep the toll takers employed, but whatever the reason -- the park was truly magnificent.  A wonderful stroll in a beautiful, serene place -- complete with a beautiful lake with motorized paddle boats for rent -- to escape from the city bustle around it.
My long walk through the park and surrounding entryways allowed me only go one stop on the subway before finding my way back to Andy's apartment.

When coordinating this trip, via email, with Andy, I assured him that I wished to eat no American food while I was here -- and welcomed his help in exposing me to the most authentic Chinese meals available. For my first evening meal with Andy, he took me to a street just around the corner from his apartment and treated me (he insisted it was a host's tradition) to the amazing dinner below.  The barbecued and dried fish was served and eaten from the boiling, and spicey hot pot to which we added noodles, lotus root, and lettuce -- served with side dishes of various beans, seaweed and, the most unusual,  preserved duck eggs topped with dried, finely shredded meat.  It was all delicious.


After dinner, Andy took me to the local grocery store where we picked up some needed supplies and some fruit including a "dragon fruit" (a Thai delicacy) while Andy educated me on other foods not common in American markets.

The day had been perfect from beginning to end even though my feet and legs were telling me I overworked them.  Nonetheless, all the walking and the great meal made sleep come easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment