Thursday, October 10, 2013

October 9 - Arrival Shanghai

The flight was nearly on time about 8:25pm and processing through immigration and customs went quickly and easily, likely because of the general emptiness of the airport at this hour.  Andy met me right outside of baggage claim/customs -- and led me to Shanghai's extensive "Metro" subway (2nd longest in the world - behind Seoul, and fourth busiest (behind Seoul, Moscow and Beijing).  With everything posted in both Chinese characters and English names, Andy's overview was easy to understand.

We talked nonstop during the ride like we had been friends forever; Andy could not have been more welcoming of my visit.  When I reflect on the unlikely convergence of our paths, I feel that the friendship was, like many I've enjoyed, just "meant to be."

It was dark when we arrived at the Century Avenue station closest to Andy's apartment, but after a short walk from the subway station and six flights of stairs, his apartment was a welcome sight.

Andy's preparation of "my" room added to the warm welcome he had given me as he had prepared it complete with a bathrobe, clean towels and a supply of water, snacks and tea.


Andy made sure I could access his internet and use the extra set of keys that he gave me -- making it clear that I should consider his home, my home.   We made plans to share dinner the next day and we finally headed to bed around 12:30am. I had been awake for about 29 hours (minus a few moments of uncomfortable nodding off in the plane) and in the air about 15 hours.  I'm certain I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment